Quilt World: Recipe Details
Apple Pie Squares
Category: Pies & Pastry
Servings: Great dessert for a crowd.
Submitted By: Bonnie Browning
Recipe Source: My Mother, Mary Kirkland - it's a family favorite!
- 2-1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 12 apples (6 cups sliced)
- 1-1/3 c. sugar
- 2 T. Minute tapioca
- 2 T. flour
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 c. powdered sugar & 2 T. milk or cream
- 1.Crust: Mix flour, shortening, and salt. Place egg yolk in cup and fill to 2/3 cup with milk. Add to dough mixture and mix. Divide dough in half and roll out to fit cookie sheet. This dough rolls out easily.
- 2.Place one piece of dough on cookie sheet.
- 3.Mix apples, cinnamon, sugar, tapioca, and flour. Place on crust on cookie sheet.
- 4.Roll balance of dough and place over apple mixture. Brush with whipped egg white. Cut some holes in top crust.
- 5.Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 20 to 30 minutes more.
- 6.While warm, drizzle with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk or cream.