Quilt World: Recipe Details
Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
Servings: 10-12 servings
Submitted By: Bonnie Browning
Recipe Source: Church Potluck Cookbook
- 1 large load French bread, cut into 1-1/4-inch slices
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 medium baking apples (McIntosh or Cortland), peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Optional: Powdered sugar
- 1.Place bread slices in greased 13" x 9" glass baking dish or casserole. No need to remove crust on bread.
- 2.Whisk milk, eggs, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until well blended. Pour half of mixture over bread. Layer apple slices over bread. Pour remaining half of egg mixture over apples.
- 3.Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake uncovered 1 hour or until eggs are set and knife pierces apple slice easily. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- 5.Good treat for an office snack day. Creamy custard French toast with not-too-sweet apple topping! Enjoy!