Modern Quilt Challenge Rules
These rules apply to the 2013 Modern Quilt Challenge.
- The maker(s) of a cloth quilt can enter the completed work by entering online at AmericanQuilter.com/MQC.
- There will be an entry fee of $15 for AQS members or $30 for non-members.
- There is a limit of one entry per contestant. The name(s) on the top line of the entry form should be that of the maker(s). Those listed as "other stitchers on this quilt" will not be considered contestants and may have their own entry in this challenge or future AQS quilt contests.
- Each quilt must be completed after January 1, 2010.
- Each quilt must be between 40 inches and 80 inches in width and between 40 inches and 80 inches in length.
- All quilts must be quilted by hand, machine, or both. Quilting is defined as a running stitch that passes through top, batting, and backing. Tied quilts are not eligible.
- Three photos must be uploaded with the entry. Please include:
- A full-view digital photo of the quilt showing all four corners. No part of the quilt can be obscured. Do not crop or manipulate your photos, however you may crop the background so long as all edges, corners, and binding of the quilt are visible.
- A detailed photo showing quilting stitches.
- A photo of the entrant(s) from the shoulders up. Include in your entries only these three photos. Please refer to our Suggestions for Good Photography on our 2013 AQS Quilt Contest webpage at www.AQSshows.com.
- Quilts must be in excellent condition. Incomplete, torn, or soiled quilts do not qualify for entry or display.
- Quilts must be a single unit and may not be framed with wood, metal, etc.
- All decisions of the jurors and judges are final. AQS reserves the right to reject any entry. AQS juries quilts based on technique as well as appropriate subject matter.
- Modern Quilt Challenge Entry Deadline: August 2, 2013
- Modern Quilt Challenge notification letter will be sent by August 23, 2013.
- Accepted Modern Quilt Challenge quilts are due at AQS by September 13, 2013.
- Winners will be announced October 2, 2013 at Des Moines QuiltWeek©.
- A selection of the Modern Quilt Challenge quilts will be seen by thousands as they travel to all of AQS events for a year. They must be available for AQS's traveling exhibit at AQS QuiltWeek events from September 13, 2013 until two weeks after 2014 Grand Rapids QuiltWeek, September 5, 2014.
- Accepted Modern Quilt Challenge quilts will be returned to the owners at the conclusion of the traveling exhibit.
The contest rules for all contest and challenges can be printed at: www.AQSshows.com.