All accepted entries will receive an email notification with an attached Contestant Guide. The guide contains details on preparing your quilt for shipping, obtaining an appraisal, insurance coverage, and returning your quilt.
Complete Shipping Preferences
Using the information provided in the guide, contestants will complete their return shipping preferences: Continental U. S. Shipping, International (including Alaska, Hawaii, and all U. S. Territories) Shipping, Pre-Paid FedEx or UPS Shipping Label, or In-Person Pickup. (A “Hold” option is available for some shows.) Contestants also have the option to request an appraisal during the selection process. (Note: Written appraisals will be mailed approximately 30 days after the show.)
Once most of the quilts have been received, they are checked in, put in a brand-new box specifically designed for shipping quilts (except irregular packages or tubes), labeled for return shipping to you or the place you designated, and then organized by categories. The quilts are then transported to the show (in their box/tube), where they will be placed in their designated area for hanging. At the close of the show, your quilt is placed back into your box/tube and taped so that it is ready to be shipped out. Once the quilts return to our facility, they are shipped usually no later than the Tuesday following the close of the show to their designated destination. Quilts are NOT handled or repackaged after returning to our facility from the show.
Package Handling Fee
Beginning in 2018, an additional $10 fee will be added to all quilts shipped in irregularly-sized/shaped packages.
Irregularly-sized packages require additional time and handling by staff to check in, process, and repackage.
Preparing & Shipping Your Quilt
Quilt Shipping Guidelines
- Be sure your quilt has a label with your name, address, and quilt title on the back.
- Pack the quilt in a plastic bag, inside a sturdy box.
- Identification Card: Write the title of your quilt and your name, address, and phone number and place inside the box with your quilt.
- Address Card: Write your name, return address, and phone number on a 3″ x 5″ card for shipping and place in an envelope. Tape the envelope to the outside of your plastic bag so it is visible when we open the box.
- Write your quilt number (provided in the guide) on the front of the envelope.
- In large, bold print, write your quilt number (provided in the guide) on the top of the outside of the box, near the address.
Because our home office is in Paducah, all quilts are shipped to Paducah to be processed and checked in. Someone is available during regular business hours at our facility to sign for shipments from UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service. (Quilts shipped to us in irregular boxes/tubes will stay in their original packaging for a $10 package handling fee.)
Once the quilts return to our facility, they are shipped out the following week, unless additional photography is needed (winners, etc.) All effort is made to ship quilts within 10 days after the show. Quilts may have shipping insurance added at the rate of $4.00 for each $1000 worth of insurance. This is requested when completing the shipping preferences online. Included in the box with your quilt will be any ribbons awarded, a copy of the Show Book, and a quilt label. Quilts shipped in irregular boxes/tubes will receive these materials in a separate mailing.
A signature is required on the return of all quilts.
Will I receive a Notification When AQS Receives My Quilt?
AQS cannot confirm the arrival of individual quilts. Please track your quilt using your shipment tracking number.
Can I Ship One or More Quilts in the Same Box?
Yes, although it is the responsibility of the quilter to make sure you insure the package properly to reflect multiple quilts in the package. Each quilt must be bagged and labeled separately inside the box.
How Can I Cut Down On the Shipping Costs?
Here are a few ideas:
- If you plan to enter multiple shows throughout a year, request for your quilt to be HELD throughout that year's show schedule.
- Purchase a pre-paid label from FedEx or UPS in your area.
- Ship your quilts in the same box, although it is the responsibility of the quilter to make sure you insure the package properly to reflect multiple quilts in the package. Each quilt must be bagged and labeled separately inside the box.
What is the Deadline for Accepted Quilts to be Mailed to AQS?
Can I Request a Ribbon if I Am not Attending the Show?
Mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
American Quilters Society
Attn: Michelle Thompson – RIBBON
PO Box 3290
Paducah, KY 42002
Please specify the contest entered when requesting a ribbon.